Lowe & Sons was founded in 1770 in Chester by the Lowe family. The original shop was situated at the Pentice, alongside St Peters Church at the cross, but it was demolished in 1804 so the road could be widened.
Lowe & Sons has supplied Chester Races with trophies, tumbler cups and other silver items for generations. Our close association with the Chester Racecourse is still ongoing to this day. This is a race card from the Chester Races on May 2nd, 1791.
The Lowe family purchased No. 11 Bridge Street Row in 1804. The shop was moved here and has stayed here ever since.
The image shows a drawing by G. Pickering, published circa 1840 - It gives us an idea of what Bridge Street was like around that time. Lowes is situated in the right of the image.
Lowe and Sons purchased and sold silverware from many other reputable silversmiths such as William Bateman. an example of which shows an invoice from the manufacurers showing the purchase of seven items equating to around £13. That is equivalent to £746.60 in today’s money.
Fifth Officer Harold Lowe was aboard the Titanic, he managed to assist numerous passengers into the lifeboats before being ordered to get into lifeboat 14 himself. After dropping off the passengers, he returned to the site of the disaster to rescue any survivors. He is seen here photographed (top right) with the Captain & Officers of the ship.
Lowe & Sons commissioned pieces of silver that were given as gifts The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh for their wedding. The Queen sent a letter of thanks for her new silver salver, entrée dishes and sauce boats.
Lowe and Sons were commissioned to create a cigarette box with an enamelled depiction of Aureole, a British Thoroughbred racehorse and sire who was owned by Queen Elizabeth II. The box was presented to Queen Elizabeth II by Members of the Cheshire County Council, to commemorate the opening by Her Majesty of the Cheshire County Hall, 11 July 1957. The cigarette box features the Chester hallmark and George F. Lowe makers mark.
The Chester Assay Office closed in the August of 1962. The last piece of silver to bear the Chester hallmark was made by Francis Lowe of Lowe & Sons, and marked by Vincent Ward the last Chester Assay Master.
At the end of the year, the shop benefited from a thorough restoration by the new owners, Greg and Will Powell of Powells Fine Jewellery. Bringing the shop back to it’s former glory.
Our big year, 250 years old!